Who is Zora Neale Hurston?
Table of Contents
Zora Neale Hurston is an American author, filmmaker, and anthropologist. She is also a person who protests against all the injustice with the Black people of 1900s America. She mainly wrote novels but besides this, Hurston loved to write short stories. Most of the stories she writes are somehow connected with her real life. Hurston also wrote some plays and essays.
The social work of Hurston is also famous. Besides all these activities, Hurston was a producer of some famous quotes. Zora Neale Hurston quotes are various that can give you various types of teachings.
Top 65 Zora Neale Hurston Quotes :
1. “Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
2. “Happiness is nothing but everyday living seen through a veil.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
3. “There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
4. “The present was an egg laid by the past that had the future inside its shell.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
5. “I love myself when I am laughing. . . and then again when I am looking mean and impressive.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
6. “Love is like the sea. It’s a moving thing, but still and all, it takes its shape from the shore it meets, and it’s different with every shore.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
7. “Life is the flower for which love is the honey.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
8. “When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
Zora Neale Hurston Quotes Research
9. “Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
10. “If writers were too wise, perhaps no books would get written at all. It might be better to ask yourself ‘Why?’ afterward than before … There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
11. “I did not just fall in love. I made a parachute jump.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
12. “A thing is mighty big when time and distance cannot shrink it.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
13. “Those that don’t got it, can’t show it. Those that got it, can’t hide it.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
14. “The man who interprets Nature is always held in great honor.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
15. “Once you wake up thought in a man, you can never put it to sleep again.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
Zora Neale Hurston Quotes how it feels to be colored me
16. “I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
17. “There is no single face in nature, because every eye that looks upon it, sees it from its own angle. So every man’s spice-box seasons his own food.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
18. “No man may make another free.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
Zora Neale Hurston Quotes from their eyes were watching god
19. “There is something about poverty that smells like death.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
20. “If you want that good feeling that comes from doing things for other folks then you have to pay for it in abuse and misunderstanding.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
21. “You got to go there to know there.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
22. “Sweat, sweat, sweat! Work and sweat, cry and sweat, pray and sweat!” ― Zora Neale Hurston
23. “I have been in Sorrow’s kitchen and licked out all the pots. Then I have stood on the peaky mountain wrapped in rainbows, with a harp and a sword in my hands.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
24. “Sweat, sweat, sweat! Work and sweat, cry and sweat, pray and sweat!” ― Zora Neale Hurston
25. “It is easy to be hopeful in the day when you can see the things you wish on.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
26. “Silence is all the genius a fool has.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
27. “Distance is the only cure for certain diseases.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
28. “Anytime you catch folks lying, they scared of something!” ― Zora Neale Hurston
29. “It seems that tears and laughter, love and hate, make up the sum of life!” ― Zora Neale Hurston
30. “But any man who walks in the way of power and property is bound to meet hate.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
31. “Work is the nearest thing to happiness that I can find.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
32. “Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
32. “Nothing that God ever made is the same thing to more than one person.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
33. “It seems to me that trying to live without friends is like milking a bear to get cream for your morning coffee. It is a whole lot of trouble, and then not worth much after you get it.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
34. “It was not death she feared. It was a misunderstanding.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
35. “There is nothing to make you like other human beings so much as doing things for them.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
36. “An envious heart makes a treacherous ear.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
37. “Everybody has some special road of thought along which they travel when they are alone to themselves. And his road of thought is what makes every man what he is.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
38. “She stood there until something fell off the shelf inside her.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
39. “Grab the broom of anger and drive off the beast of fear.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
40. “My eyes and my mind keep taking me where my old legs can’t keep up.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
41. “She was saving up feelings for some man she had never seen.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
42. “Learning without wisdom is a load of books on a donkey’s back.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
43. “Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It’s beyond me.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
44. “If you are silent about your pain, they’ll kill you and say you enjoyed it.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
45. “Bitterness is the coward’s revenge on the world for having been hurt.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
46. “I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
47. “I want a busy life, a just mind, and a timely death.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
48. “I will fight for my country, but I will not lie for her.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
49. “Such as I am, I am a precious gift.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
Zora Neale Hurston feminist on Life
50. “Life, inexhaustible, goes on. And we do too. Carrying our wounds and our medicines as we go.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
51. “Someone is always at my elbow reminding me that I am the granddaughter of slaves. It fails to register depression with me.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
52. “Lack of power and opportunity passes off too often for virtue.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
53. “I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
54. “Some people could look at a mud puddle and see an ocean with ships.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
55. “Trees and plants always look like the people they live with, somehow.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
56. “I made up my mind to keep my feelings to myself since they did not seem to matter to anyone else but me.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
57. “They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
58. “No matter how far a person can go the horizon is still way beyond you.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
59. “Grown people know that they do not always know the way of things, and even if they think they know, they do not know where and how they got the proof.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
60. “Common danger made common friends.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
61. “So much of life in its meshes! She called in her soul to come and see.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
62. “I belong to no race nor time. I am the eternal feminine with its string of beads.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
63. “She didn’t read books so she didn’t know that she was the world and the heavens boiled down to a drop.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
64. “There are two things everybody got to find out for themselves. They got to find out about love and they got to find out about living.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
65. “Truth is a letter from courage!” ― Zora Neale Hurston
“A woman robbed of her love is more terrible than an army with banners.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
“Mystery is the essence of divinity.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
“My sense of humor will always stand in the way of my seeing myself, my family, my race or my nation as the whole intent of the universe.”― Zora Neale Hurston
“It is one of the blessings of this world that few people see visions and dream dreams.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
Zora Neale Hurston Biography:
The biography reveals a person from birth to death. To know someone well, we need to read his biography. Here we are going to discuss a short biography of Zora Neale Hurston.
Zora Neale Hurston Early Life
Zora Neale Hurston was born on January 7, 1891. Her birthplace is Notasulga, Alabama, U.S. Hurston’s parents are John Hurston and Lucy Ann Hurston. She is the fifth child of her parents. The early life of Hurston was happy enough. In her childhood, her father became the mayor of their home town Eatonville.
Hurston was happy until she was 13. Her mother died in 1904 when she was 13. After this, her father married another woman. The relation between the stepmother and Hurston was not good. Hurston was sent to boarding school.
Zora Neale Hurston Education
Nothing is known about Hurston elementary education. She might be taught at her home by her family members. But after the death of her mother in 1904, Hurston was sent to Baptist boarding school in Jacksonville, Florida. At one point in her study here, Hurston’s father stopped bearing her education cost.
She could not continue her study anymore. But Hurston resumed her education in 1917. During this time, she attended Morgan College. Here she completed her high school education. Howard University was the college from where Hurston completed her college education. Besides her formal education, Hurston learned many languages.
Zora Neale Hurston Career
Hurston gets inspiration to write from many black American writers like Charlotte Osgood Mason, Langston Hughes, and Alain Locke. From her interest in writing, Hurston wrote many famous novels like “Their Eyes Were Watching God”, “Dust Tracks on a Road”, “Mules and Men” etc. The main theme of her writing is various. Hurston’s filmmaking and anthropology also make her busy.
Why should we follow Zora Neale Hurston?
One person needs some good qualities to follow him. Zora Neale Hurston has a person with many unique qualities. One of her qualities is her special writing ability. This ability makes her famous and helps her to become one of the most loved writers. Hurston was a person who did not tolerate other people’s pain. She protests against the injustice with the black people. Hurston loved to find the hidden history of different things. This is also another good quality. Zora Neale Hurston quotes are another reason to follow her.
Zora Neale Hurston is a person with different qualities. This type of person must be followed by people to shine in life. If a person can follow her quotes, then his life will be changed.