Who is Alice Walker?
The full name of Alice Walker is Alice Malsenior Tallulah-Kate Walker. She is an American writer. She loves writing novels, short stories, poetry. Besides writing, Alice Walker is a social activist. She won a National Book Award for her novel “The Color Purple”. Alice also has a Pulitzer Prize in her showcase for her special contribution to Fiction writing. Her social works are based on female rights.
He talked in favor of women. She did not love the word feminist, instead of, she used womanist thinking about black women. She is famous for her writing but besides this, Alice is the producer of some famous quotes. Alice Walker quotes are loved by all ages and class people.
Top 50 Alice Walker quotes :
1. The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. – Alice Walker
2. Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself. – Alice Walker
3. No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your right to grow. – Alice Walker
4. Hard times require furious dancing. Each of us is proof. – Alice Walker
5. The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men. – Alice Walker
6. ‘Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding. – Alice Walker
7. “Laughter isn’t even the other side of tears. It is tears turned inside out. Truly the suffering is great, here on earth. We blunder along, shredded by our mistakes, bludgeoned by our faults. Not having a clue where the dark path leads us. But on the whole, we stumble along bravely, don’t you think?”– Alice Walker
8. It is justice and respect that I want the world to dust off and put – without delay, and with tenderness – back on the head of the Palestinian child. It will be imperfect justice and respect because the injustice and disrespect have been so severe. But I believe we are right to try. – Alice Walker
9. This is a wonderful planet, and it is being completely destroyed by people who have too much money and power and no empathy. – Alice Walker
Alice Walker quotes Feminism
10. Womanist is to feminist as purple is to lavender. – Alice Walker
“And I don’t believe you dead. How can you be dead if I still feel you? Maybe, like God, you changed into something different that I’ll have to speak to differently, but you not dead to me Nettie. And never will you be.”– Alice Walker, The Color Purple
11. In nature, nothing is perfect, and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they’re still beautiful. – Alice Walker
12. War contributes greatly to global warming, which shouldn’t surprise us. All those bombs going off, all those rockets, all those planes, and helicopters. All that fuel of various kinds being used. It pollutes the air and water of this very fragile and interconnected planet. – Alice Walker
13. I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe. – Alice Walker
14. At one point I learned transcendental meditation. This was 30-something years ago. It took me back to the way that I naturally was as a child growing up way in the country, rarely seeing people. I was in that state of oneness with creation, and it was as if I didn’t exist except as a part of everything. – Alice Walker
15. Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn’t matter. I’m not sure a bad person can write a good book. If art doesn’t make us better, then what on earth is it for.” – Alice Walker
16. What the mind doesn’t understand, it worships or fears. – Alice Walker
17. I am an expression of the divine, just like a peach is, just like a fish is. I have a right to be this way…I can’t apologize for that, nor can I change it, nor do I want to… We will never have to be other than who we are in order to be successful…We realize that we are as ourselves unlimited and our experiences valid. It is for the rest of the world to recognize this, if they choose. – Alice Walker
18. I think us here to wonder, myself. To wonder. To ask. And that in wondering bout the big things and asking bout the big things, you learn about the little ones, almost by accident. But you never know nothing more about the big things than you start out with. The more I wonder, the more I love. – Alice Walker
19. …have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God. – Alice Walker
20. Activism is my rent for living on the planet – Alice Walker
21. “Without money of one’s own in a capitalist society, there is no such thing as independence.”– Alice Walker
22. The more I wonder, the more I love. – Alice Walker
23. “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.” – Alice Walker
24. “Be nobody’s darling, be an outcast. Take the contradictions of your life and wrap around. You like a shawl, to parry stones, to keep you warm.” – Alice Walker
25. “Men make war to get attention. All killing is an expression of self-hate.” – Alice Walker
26. In search of my mother’s garden, I found my own. – Alice Walker
27. Ignorance, arrogance, and racism have bloomed as Superior Knowledge in all too many universities. – Alice Walker
28. Yes, Mother. I can see you are flawed. You have not hidden it. That is your greatest gift to me. – Alice Walker
29. Time moves quickly but passes quickly.– Alice Walker
30. A grown child is a dangerous thing. – Alice Walker
31. We sing and dance, make faces and give flower bouquets, trying to be loved. You ever notice that trees do everything to get the attention we do, except walk? – Alice Walker
32. Every time I conjure up a rock, I throw it. – Alice Walker
33. Never be the only one, except, possibly, in your own home. – Alice Walker
34. It seems our fate is to be incorrect … and in our incorrectness stand. – Alice Walker
35. Writing saved me from the sin and inconvenience of violence. – Alice Walker
36. All partisan movements add to the fullness of our understanding of society as a whole. They never detract; or, in any case, one must not allow them to do so. Experience adds to experience. – Alice Walker
37. For in the end, freedom is a personal and lonely battle; and one faces down fears of today so that those of tomorrow might be engaged. – Alice Walker
38. Nobody is as powerful as we make them out to be. – Alice Walker
39. It is healthier, in any case, to write for the adults one’s children will become than for the children one’s “mature” critics often are. – Alice Walker
40. It no longer bothers me that I may constantly be searching for father figures; by this time, I have found several and dearly enjoyed knowing them all. – Alice Walker
41. There are those who believe Black people possess the secret of joy and that it is this that will sustain them through any spiritual or moral or physical devastation. – Alice Walker
42. Helped are those who create anything at all, for they shall relive the thrill of their own conception and realize a partnership in the creation of the Universe that keeps them responsible and cheerful. – Alice Walker
43. As long as the Earth can make a spring every year, I can. As long as the Earth can flower and produce nurturing fruit, I can, because I’m the Earth. I won’t give up until the Earth gives up. – Alice Walker
44. Expect nothing, live frugally on surprise. – Alice Walker
45. “Look closely at the present you are constructing: it should look like the future you are dreaming.” – Alice Walker
46. “People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.” – Alice Walker
47. “The nature of this flower is to bloom.”– Alice Walker
48. “Helped are those who are content to be themselves; they will never lack mystery in their lives and the joys of self-discovery will be constant.” – Alice Walker
49. “People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools.” – Alice Walker
50. “I’m pore, I’m black, I may be ugly and can’t cook, a voice say to everything listening. But I’m here.” – Alice Walker
Everything wants to be loved. Us sing and dance and holler, just trying to be loved. – Alice Walker
The quietly pacifist peaceful always die to make room for men who shout. – Alice Walker
Being happy is not the only happiness. – Alice Walker
And so our mothers and grandmothers have, more often than not anonymously, handed on the creative spark, the seed of the flower they themselves never hoped to see — or like a sealed letter they could not plainly read. – Alice Walker
How simple a thing it seems to me that to know ourselves as we are, we must know our mother’s names. – Alice Walker
I have learned not to worry about love, but to honor it’s coming with all my heart. – Alice Walker
“I’m always amazed that people will actually choose to sit in front of the television and just be savaged by stuff that belittles their intelligence. ― Alice Walker
“It just seems clear to me that as long as we are all here, it’s pretty clear that the struggle is to share the planet, rather than divide it.”– Alice Walker
“If you lie to yourself about your own pain, you will be killed by those who will claim you enjoyed it.”– Alice Walker
“Writing poems is my way of celebrating with the world that I have not committed suicide the evening before.”– Alice Walker
“He recognized her immediately when he saw her again. And what he recognized was her energy, which seemed to precede her. As if her spirit were thrusting itself forward, into the unknown; dazzled, charmed, challenged, hopeful, happy to be energized by the mysterious, loving the adrenaline rush of surprise.”– Alice Walker
“Too much respect for people who are not respectful to you is a sure sign of insecurity.” – Alice Walker
“Keep in mind always the present you are constructing. It should be the future you want.” – Alice Walker
“I have the uncanny feeling that, just at the end of my life, I am beginning to reinhabit completely the body I long ago left.” – Alice Walker
“All History is current; all injustice continues on some level, somewhere in the world.” – Alice Walker
“We do it because we care. We care that Vincent Van Gogh mutilated his ear. We care that behind a pile of manure in the yard he destroyed his life. We care that Scott Joplin’s music lives! We care because we know this: the life we save is our own.” ― Alice Walker
“We are a people. A people do not throw their geniuses away. And if they are thrown away, it is our duty as artists and as witnesses for the future to collect them again for the sake of our children, and if necessary, bone by bone.”– Alice Walker
“there was no sympathy for struggle that ended in defeat. Which meant there was no sympathy for struggle itself—only for “winning.”– Alice Walker
Alice Walker Biography :
The biography helps us to know about a person. As we are going to know about Alice Walker, we can read her biography. Here is the short biography of Alice Walker.
Alice Walker Early Life
Alice Walker was born on 9 February 1944. Her birthplace is Eatonton, Georgia. Her parents are Willie Lee Walker and Minnie Tallulah Grant. She was the last of eight children of her family. The early life of Alice Walker was better than the other black children. She gets an injury to her right eye.
The family could not help her to get better treatment for their lack of money. From then she was permanently blind on that eye. From that eye accident, Alice Walker focused on reading and writing.
Alice Walker Education
Alice was the first child of her family who started the study. She was admitted to school at the age of 4. Her first school was East Putnam Consolidated. But when the law separated the schools for black and white children Alice had to leave that school. Then she started her study at Butler Baker High School.
Alice was a very attentive student. She was the best student of her batch. After completing her schooling, she was granted a full scholarship by many famous colleges. But she decided to study at Sarah Lawrence College. From here she graduated in 1965.
Alice Walker Career
Alice Walker did many jobs at the beginning of her career. But writing was in her blood. She started writing career with poems. She wrote poems in her college life. After that, her writing continued. Her 1st novel was not so popular but her 2nd novel “Meridian” got enough recognition. Some of her famous writings are “The Color Purple”, “Meridian”, “The Third Life of Grange Copeland”, “To Hell With Dying” etc.
Why should we follow Alice Walker?
The most loved feature of Alice Walker is her love for women. She not only loves women but also works for their rights. The injustice against the black people was her main point to work. Alice Walker also works for society. The writing topic of Alice Walker is centered around the public interest. These are the qualities of Alice Walker to follow. Besides these Alice Walker quotes can be counted as her special capability. This also can be followed.
The quotes are the result of the deep thoughts and practical experience of its writer. If we look at the quotes of Alice Walker then one thing will be clear to us i.e. she wrote to inspire human beings. All her quotes are related to human life directly or indirectly. So, if one can follow Alice Walker quotes closely then he will be successful in life.