Materialism is the idea which gives the most priority to the worldly possession or the material resource. In other words, this is the idea that believes that the only fundamental truth is the physical substance. In Philosophy, materialism is called ‘physicalism.’ The theory of materialism does not care about spiritual values.
The idea of materialism has a significant impact on human psychology. You’ll find multiple quotes about materialism, representing the adverse effects of materialism on the human being. The idea of materialism hypnotizes the human psyche and makes them rum after the worldly possession all through their lives.
quotes about materialism:
Table of Contents
Materialism is the only form of distraction from true bliss. ―Douglas Horton
2. I always prided myself on the fact that I could live out of milk crates forever. It was kind of my way of detaching from materialism. ―Kerry Washington
3. Like Gandhi, my husband had struggled with the issue of materialism. ―Coretta Scott King
4. Materialism isn’t the panacea that so many people think it is. ―Pernell R
5. Materialism is an identity crisis. ―Bryant H. McGill
6. But as an adult working in the fashion industry, I struggle with materialism. And I’m one of the least materialistic people that exist because material possessions don’t mean much to me. They’re beautiful, I enjoy them, they can enhance your life to a certain degree, but they’re ultimately not important. ―Tom Ford
7. The folly of endless consumerism sends us on a wild goose-chase for happiness through materialism. ―Bryant H. McGill
8. In age of consumerism and materialism, I traffic in blue sky and colored air. ―James Turrell
That feeling of freedom, open highways of possibilities, has kind of been lost to materialism and marketing. ―Sheryl Crow
10. An attitude to life which seeks fulfillment in the single-minded pursuit of wealth – in short, materialism – does not fit into this world, because it contains within itself no limiting principle, while the environment in which it is placed is strictly limited. ―E. F. Schumacher
11. Materialism coarsens and petrifies everything, making everything vulgar, and every truth false. ―Henri Frederic Amiel
12. When we think about the trends that millennials are taking toward simplicity, I think it’s indicative of a cultural shift toward less of the ‘more is more’ for materialism sake and more of an emphasis on efficiency, value, and sustainability. ―Bobby Berk
13. I try to educate people about materialism through my work. I try to show them real visual luxury. ―Jeff Koons
14. It is a law in the universe that a wave of spiritual awakening is always followed by a period of doubting materialism, each phase is necessary in order that the spirit may receive equal development of heart and intellect without being carried too far in either direction. ―Max Heindel
15. When a culture has fallen totally away from spiritual pursuits into materialism, one must begin by demonstrating they are each a soul, not a material animal. ―L. Ron Hubbard
16. The materialism, the brashness, the misogyny – everything in hip-hop is amplified. Misogyny is a good example of something that is completely amplified in hip-hop. I do think there is more than enough of a balance, though, for fans who are willing to search it out. ―Talib Kweli
17. The chief difficulty which prevents men of science from believing in divine as well as in nature Spirits is their materialism. ―Helena Blavatsky
18. You want to buy cars and houses and castles, all of that’s on you and how America has systematized your mind to be into materialism. Hip-hop ain’t got nothing to do with that. I’m glad that anybody making money has picked themselves up – I just want them to give some of it back to the community. ―Afrika Bambaataa
19. Each time you go to the grocery store with your kids, it is a potential learning opportunity. In order not to overemphasize materialism, focus on other things to do with money. In ‘Beyond the Lemonade Stand,’ I try to emphasize the importance of saving money, and of using it to help other people. ―Bill Rancic
We need leadership that can elevate religion and morality to their position of paramount importance and thus eliminates growing selfishness, immorality, and materialism. ―George W. Romney
21. There are only three integral views of the world: the religious, the materialistic, and the Islamic. They reflect three elemental possibilities (conscience, nature, and man), each of them manifesting itself as Christianity, materialism, and Islam. ―Alija Izetbegovic
22. The ‘Gossip Girl’ idea and ideologies, like, they sort of encouraging this certain kind of, like, materialism and superficiality that isn’t, I would say, the best thing in the world. ―Penn Badgley
23. Matters of the heart are important to me. All this materialism and all the money and wealth are things that you don’t take to the grave. One day you have it. The next day you don’t. ―Shari Arison
24. Contemporary science is based on the philosophy of materialism, which claims that all reality is material or physical. ―Rupert Sheldrake
25. ‘Material’ is meant to be a fun, lighthearted song about the tiny bit of materialism that’s in all of us. The message is meant to translate the notion that you don’t need luxury items to feel special; you already are special. ―Yuna
26. After 1980, you never heard reference to space again. Surface, the most convincing evidence of the descent into materialism, became the focus of design. Space disappeared. ―Arthur Erickson
27. You don’t want to be that parent – the one who dresses his kid in a cloth sack when all the other kids are in Armani cloth sacks – especially in a time like ours, when materialism is not only rampant and ascendant but is fast becoming the only game in town. ―George Saunders
This great, though disastrous, culture can only change as we begin to stand off and see… the inveterate materialism which has become the model for cultures around the world. ―Arthur Erickson
29. In Los Angeles, parenting is a competitive sport. From Beverly Hills baby boutiques to kids’ yoga classes, L.A. fuses high style, industrial-strength materialism, and parental outsourcing into our own unique version of child-rearing. ―Shawn Amos
30. I think that the secular work environment, in general, is a place that’s challenging for Christians to thrive in without getting caught up in materialism or in competitiveness or in things that are really not important. ―Scott Derrickson
31. Materialism has never been so ominous as now in North America, as management takes over. ―Arthur Erickson
32. In L.A., like, there’s a lot of, like, materialism, and, you know, people who think they’re better than each other because of the clothes they wear or how they dress, and in Oakland, it’s not like that. ―Kreayshawn
33. More recently, as faith gave way to materialism, anti-Semitism assumed a secular mode, harnessing itself to the dominant ideologies of both the Left and the Right. ―Jack Schwartz
34. Ignorance of what real learning is, and a consequent suspicion of it; materialism, and a consequent intellectual laxity, both of these have done destructive work in the colleges. ―Katharine Elizabeth Fullerton Gerould
Happiness will come from materialism, not from meaning. ―Andrei Platonov
36. It’s so easy today to get swept up in celebrity fixation and materialism and searching for some validation outside of yourself when we know it’s really found within and through meaningful connections with other people. ―Geoffrey S. Fletcher
37. Individually, people are finding that a simpler lifestyle provides greater satisfaction than relentless pursuit of materialism. ―Laurance Rockefeller
38. One of the saddest things I’ve seen in Amazonian cultures is people who were self-sufficient and happy that now think of themselves as poor and become dissatisfied with their lives. What worries me is outsiders trying to impose their values and materialism on the Piraha. ―Daniel Everett
39. My first book, ‘Fast Forward’, was about growing up in the shadow of Hollywood and how kids are affected by the culture of materialism and the cult of celebrity, and I’ve often felt the reason my work has an audience in the U.K. is because it’s everything the British love to hate about the Americans. ―Lauren Greenfield
40. A cold atheistical materialism is the tendency of the so-called material philosophy of the present day. ―Adam Sedgwick
41. “Money is a great servant but a bad master.”
― Francis Bacon
42. “When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.”
― H.L. Mencken
“How good something is should never be determined by its cost, designer, origin, or its perceived value by others.”
― Ashly Lorenzana
44. “Valor is strength, not of legs and arms, but of heart and soul; it consists not in the worth of our horse or our weapons, but in our own.”
― Michel de Montaigne, Cannibales
45. “The real opposition is that between the ego-bound man, whose existence is structured by the principle of having, and the free man, who has overcome his egocentricity.”
― Erich Fromm
46. “How pointless life could be, what a foolish business of inventing things to love, just so you could dread losing them.”
― Barbara Kingsolver
47. “Every increased possession loads us with new weariness.”
― John Ruskin
48. “The modern materialists are not permitted to doubt; they are forbidden to believe.”
― G.K. Chesterton
49. “Hold material goods and wealth on a flat palm and not in a clenched fist.”
― Alistair Begg
“The materialist is sure that history has been simply and solely a chain of causation, just as the [lunatic] is quite sure that he is simply and solely a chicken. Materialists and madmen never have doubts.”
― G.K. Chesterton
What are the effects of materialism?
We can trace the effects of materialism on our social life. We can even find out the consequence of materialism on our psychological, personal, and family lives. The materialistic section of the people runs after the money. These people earn a lot of money in their life. So the become more affluent.
On the other hand, the lower section of the people become poorer. The standard of their life falls. Eventually, the process of materialism creates a bipolar economic condition in our society. And the outcome of this bipolar situation creates social discrimination. We all know that the presence of economic and social discrimination is the main obstacle to the development of any country.
What are the effects of materialism on personal life?
Materialism also has an impact on the personal life of the materialist people. The materialist people give value to the money more than the people and the relationship. This type of tendency of the materialist people has effects on their personal lives. The materialist people try to find out peace and happiness through earning material possession.
They like to spend their time on their work purpose, not for their family members. The negligence affects the bond of the relationship of those people. Most of the cases, the materialist people feel lonely in their later life. The people who believe in materialism do not like to spend their time for their spiritual improvement.
Can material possession buy happiness?
You may think that money, and material possession brings the happiness of your life. In a real sense, it cannot buy peace for the human psyche. You cannot gain your mental satisfaction through worldly possession. The materialist people forget about the true meaning of life. They run after worldly possessions all through their lives, but eventually, they cannot find true happiness.
How can you become successful without being materialistic?
To be truly successful in your life, you have to know the real significance of success. Success does not mean only earning money in your life. If you want to succeed in a real sense, you need to be victorious in front of your conscience. You have to maintain symmetry between your worldly life and your spiritual life.
To get real happiness, you have to give equal priority to your family life and your career. You have to juxtapose all the aspects of your life. If you can maintain the balance, you can be successful in your life without being materialistic.