Rumi was a Persian poet (born in Afghanistan), jurist, Islamic saint, and a Sufi mystic. His discipline and wisdom have crossed all national and ethnic boundaries since the 13th century. He is considered one of the most popular and skilled poets of all time, and he became the best-selling poet in the United States. Rumi quotes and poems about life, love, and death are wise, thought-provoking, and deeply famous. His work has influenced and inspired many other artists, and his enlightening words are still understood by many today.
I’m sure each of you has heard or read some Rumi quotes and poems. In his honor, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and powerful Rumi quotes and poems to inspire deeper connections collected from different sources year after year and give a more positive outlook on life.
To make it more comfortable we have divided it into the following categories: Love, Life, Friendship, Nature, Beauty, Silence, Death Quotes and Sadness quotes.
Top 330 Rumi Quotes :
15 Top Most Popular Rumi Quotes :
“Silence is an ocean. Speech is a river. When the ocean is searching for you, don’t walk into the river. Listen to the ocean.” – Rumi
2. “Through Love all that is bitter will be sweet, through Love all that is copper will be gold, through Love all dregs will become wine, through Love all pain will turn to medicine.” – Rumi
3. “Beauty surrounds us, but usually we need to be walking in a garden to know it.” – Rumi
4. “Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.” – Rumi
5. “Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends.” – Rumi
6. “the cypress tree is turning green, drunk with the forest.” – Rumi
7. “Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.” – Rumi
8. “I have seen the king with a face of Glory, He who is the eye and the sun of heaven, He who is the companion and healer of all beings, He who is the soul and the universe that births souls.” – Rumi
9. “The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi
10. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
11. The universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you already are.
12. If light is in your heart, you will find your way home.
13. Achieve some perfection yourself, so that you may not fall into sorrow by seeing the perfection in others.
14. The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart.
15. Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
Rumi Quotes On Life:
16. “Who gets up early to discover the moment light begins.”
17. “What does this patch-sewing mean you ask? Eating and drinking. The heavy cloak of the body is always getting torn. You patch it with food and other ego-satisfactions.”
18. “Why should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my being is in full bloom.”
19. “Now is the time to unite the soul and the world. Now is the time to see the sunlight dancing as one with the shadows.”
20. “Take sips of this pure wine being poured. Don’t mind that you’ve been given a dirty cup.”
21. “It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away, so that when I’ve gone and come back, I’ll find it at home.”
22. “Your legs will get heavy and tired. Then comes a moment of feeling the wings you’ve grown, lifting.”
23. “I cannot stop asking. If I could taste one sip of an answer, I could break out of this prison for drunks.”
24. “Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.”
25. “In this mob of I’s inside, which one is me? Hear me out. I know I’m wandering, but don’t start putting a lid on this racket. No telling what I’ll do then. Every moment I’m thrown by your story. One moment it’s happy, and I’m singing. One moment it’s sad, and I’m weeping. It turns bitter, and I pull away. But then you spill a little grace, and just like that, I’m all light. It’s not so bad, this arrangement, actually.”
26. “God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites so that you will have two wings to fly, not one..”
27. “If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished.”
28. “This is how we are with wine and beautiful food… we want and we get drunk with wanting, then the headache and bitterness afterward.”
29. “Birdsong brings relief to my longing. I am just as ecstatic as they are, but with nothing to say.”
30. “Put your thoughts to sleep, do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking.”
31. “You sit here for days saying, This is strange business. You’re the strange business. You have the energy of the sun in you, but you keep knotting it up at the base of your spine. You’re some weird kind of gold that wants to stay melted in the furnace, so you won’t have to become coins.”
32. “Can you find another market like this? Where, with your one rose, you can buy hundreds of rose gardens.”
33. “You’ve gotten drunk on so many kinds of wine. Taste this. It won’t make you wild. It’s fire. Give up, if you don’t understand by this time that your living is firewood.”
34. “Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and the stars mirrored in your own being.”
36. “The result of my life is no more than three words: I was raw, I became cooked, I was burnt.”
37. “Work in the invisible world at least as hard as you do in the visible.”
38. “Let yourself become living poetry.”
39. “Don’t put blankets over the drum! Open completely. Let your spirit ear listen to the green dome’s passionate murmur.”
40. “And even if this world burns up hidden harps will still play here.”
41. “There is a morning inside you waiting to burst open into Light.”
42. “In each moment the fire rages, it will burn away a hundred veils. And carry you a thousand steps toward your goal.”
43. “This drunkenness began in some other tavern. When I get back around to that place, I’ll be completely sober.”
44. “Don’t turn away. Keep your gaze on the bandaged place. That’s where the light enters you.”
45. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.”
46. “I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I’ve been knocking from the inside.”
47. “Don’t turn away. Keep your gaze on the bandaged place. That’s where the light enters you.”
48. “There is a fountain inside you. Don’t walk around with an empty bucket.”
49. “Keep walking, though there’s no place to get to. Don’t try to see through the distances. That’s not for human beings. Move within, but don’t move the way fear makes you move.”
50. “The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don’t go back to sleep.”
51. “There’s a hidden sweetness in the stomach’s emptiness. We are lutes, no more, no less. If the soundbox is stuffed full of anything, no music…. When you’re full of food and drink, Satan sits where your spirit should….”
52. “I do not know who lives here in my chest, or why the smile comes. I am not myself, more the bare green knob of a rose that lost every leaf and petal to the morning wind.”
53. “And don’t think the garden loses its ecstasy in winter. It’s quiet, but the roots are down there riotous.”
54. “Ignorance is God’s prison. Knowing is God’s palace.”
55. “Even when tied in a thousand knots, the string is still but one.”
56. “Lightning, your presence from the ground to sky, no one knows what becomes of me when you take me so quickly.”
57. “Don’t knock on any random door like a beggar. Reach your long hand out to another door, beyond where you go on the street, the street where everyone says, “How are you?” and no one says How aren’t you.”
58. “Dance in the middle of fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.”
59. “Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd.”
60. “Where will you plant your grief-seeds? We need ground to scrape and hoe, not the sky of unspecified desire.”
61. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
62. “This world’s existence is one night long. There’s a great lively gathering that night, but some people sleep through it.”
63. “I am iron resisting the most enormous magnet there is.”
64. “Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you..”
65. “Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.”
67. “If you yearn for holy felicity, shed your arrogance and become a seeker of hearts.”
68. “All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”
69. “How will you know the difficulties of being human, if you’re always flying off to blue perfection.”
70. “Come out here where the roses have opened. Let soul and world meet.”
71. “Don’t hand me another glass of wine. Pour it in my mouth. I’ve lost the way to my mouth..”
72. “You’ve been walking the ocean’s edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper.”
73. “Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life..”
74. “Why should I be weary when every cell of my body is bursting with life?”
75. “He is a letter to everyone. You open it. It says, Live.”
76. “What I most want is to spring out of this personality, then to sit apart from that leaping. I’ve lived too long where I can be reached.”
77. “Become the sky. Take an axe to the prison wall. Escape.”
78. “a great God-wrestling does on inside these wanderers.”
79. “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”
80. “You must lance an ulcer to heal it. You must tear down parts of an old building to restore it, and so it is with a sensual life that has no spirit in it.”
81. “Purify your eyes, and see the pure world. Your life will fill with radiant forms.”
82. “Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.”
83. “Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor.”
84. “The mind, this globe of awareness, is a starry universe that when you push off with your foot, a thousand new roads become clear, as you yourself do at dawn, sailing through the light.”
85. “Isn’t it time to turn your heart into a temple of fire.”
86. “The core of the seen and unseen universe smiles, but remember smiles come best from those who weep. Lightning, then the rain-laughter.”
87. “Inside of us, there’s a continual autumn. Our leaves fall and are blown out over the water.”
88. “All religions, all this singing, one song. The differences are just illusion and vanity. The sun’s light looks a little different on this wall than it does on that wall, and a lot different on this other one, but it’s still one light.”
89. “Whosoever knoweth the power of the dance, dwelleth in God.”
90. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
91. “rush out in the rain to be soaked with the sky.”
92. “You are a fountain of the sun’s light. I am a willow shadow on the ground. You make my raggedness silky.”
93. “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.”
94. “Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.”
95. “If these poems repeat themselves, then so does Spring.”
96. “If all you can do is crawl, start crawling.”
97. “Something opens our wings, something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness.”
98. “Is what I say true? Say yes quickly, if you know, if you’ve known it from before the beginning of the universe.”
99. “Half-heartedness doesn’t reach into majesty. You set out to find God, but then you keep stopping for long periods at mean-spirited roadhouses.”
100. “Keep knocking, and the joy inside will eventually open a window and look out to see who’s there.”
101. “Forget safety.
Live where you fear to live.
Destroy your reputation.
102. “When someone criticizes or disagrees with you, a small ant of hatred and antagonism is born in your heart. If you do not squash that ant at once, it might grow into a snake or even a dragon.”
Rumi Quotes On Love:
“Love is the bridge between you and everything.”
104. “Everything that is made beautiful and fair and lovely is made for the eye of one who sees.”
105. “The garden of love is green without limit and yields many fruits other than sorrow or joy. Love is beyond either condition: without spring, without autumn, it is always fresh.”
106. “Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.”
107. “Whatever happens, just keep smiling and lose yourself in love.”
108. “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.”
109. “We are born of love; Love is our mother.”
110. “Why ever talk of miracles when you are destined to become infinite love.”
111. “Listen with ears of tolerance! See through the eyes of compassion! Speak with the language of love.”
112. “A pen went scribbling along. When it tried to write love, it broke.”
113. “Be certain that in the religion of Love there are no believers and unbelievers. Love embraces all.”
114. “Love flows down. The ground submits to the sky and suffers what comes. Is the ground worse for giving in like that? Do not put blankets over the drum. Open completely. Let your spirit ear listen to the green dome’s passionate murmur.”
115. “In your light, I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest, where no one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that light becomes this art.”
116. “Love is the whole thing. We are only pieces.”
117. “The heart is cooking a pot of food for you. Be patient until it is cooked.”
118. “There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted. Then, there’s another way: a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity.”
119. “How can I know anything about the past or the future, when the light of the Beloved shines only Now.”
120. “Gamble everything for love, if you’re a true human being. If not, leave this gathering.”
121. “The way the night knows itself with the moon, be that way with me. Or, alternately translated, Union is a raging river running toward the sea. Tonight the moon kisses the stars. O beloved, be like that to me.”
122. “A house of love with no limits, a presence more beautiful than venus or the moon, a beauty whose image fills the mirror of the heart..”
123. “I don’t regret how much I love, and I avoid those who repent their passion.”
124. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.”
125. “If you knew yourself for even one moment, if you could just glimpse your most beautiful face, maybe you wouldn’t slumber so deeply in that house of clay. Why not move into your house of joy and shine into every crevice! For you are the secret Treasure-bearer, and always have been. Didn’t you know?””
126. “Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.”
127. “When I am with you, everything is prayer.”
128. “You will learn by reading, But you will understand with LOVE.”
129. “At night, I open the window and ask the moon to come and press its face against mine. Breathe into me. Close the language-door and open the love-window. The moon won’t use the door, only the window.”
130. “This is a subtle truth. Whatever you love you are.”
131. “I turn all thorn then, but you come back again and make my thorniness fragrant and pink and petaled.”
132. “Whenever we manage to love without expectations,calculations, negotiations, we are indeed in heaven.”
133. “Love is an emerald. Its brilliant light wards off dragons On this treacherous path.”
134. “Tonight the moon kisses the stars.”
135. “Close your eyes, fall in love, stay there.”
136. “Gamble everything for love, if you are a true human being. If not, leave this gathering. Half-heartedness doesn’t reach into majesty.”
137. “Sometimes you hear a voice through the door calling you… This turning toward what you deeply love saves you.”
138. “A thousand half-loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home.”
139. “Love is an open secret, the most obvious thing in the world and the most hidden, with no why to how it keeps its mystery.”
140. “Come, whoever you are! Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving. This is not a caravan of despair. It doesn’t matter if you’ve broken your vow a thousand times, still and yet again come!”
141. “Sorrows are the rags of old clothes and jackets that serve to cover, and then are taken off. That undressing, and the beautiful naked body underneath is the sweetness that comes after grief.”
142. “The heart has its own language. The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.”
143. “Love is not an emotion, it’s your very existence.”
144. “The way you make love is the way God will be with you.”
145. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
146. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”
147. “You fill yourself with the sharp pain of love, rather than its fulfilment.”
148. “A life without love is of no account. Don’t ask yourself what kind of love you should seek, spiritual or material, divine or mundane, Eastern or Western. Divisions only lead to more divisions. Love has no labels, no definitions. It is what it is, pure and simple. Love is the water of life. And a lover is a soul of fire! The universe turns differently when fire loves water.”
149. “This is how I would die into the love I have for you: as pieces of cloud dissolve in sunlight.”
150. “Love rests on no foundation. It is an endless ocean, with no beginning or end.”
159. “This is what love does and continues to do. It tastes like honey to adults and milk to children.”
160. “Love is a river. Drink from it.”
161. “If you want to be more alive, love is the truest health.”
162. “my heart sinks like a comb into wave after wave of your silky hair.”
163. “Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absentminded. Someone sober will worry about events going badly. Let the lover be.”
164. “And if you are a rose, I am rose-shadow.”
165. “Love is a madman, working his wild schemes, tearing off his clothes, running through the mountains….”
166. “Love comes with a knife, not some shy question, and not with fears for its reputation!”
167. “This love is the rose that blooms forever.”
168. “Whenever we can manage to love without expectations, calculations, negotiations, we are indeed in heaven.”
169. “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
170. “Remember. The way you make love is the way God will be with you.”
171. “When your love contracts in anger, the atmosphere itself feels threatening. But when you’re expansive, no matter what the weather, you’re in an open, windy field with friends.”
172. “Love is the house of God and you are living in that house.”
173. “I would love to kiss you. The price of kissing is your life.”
174. “Someone who does not run toward the allure of love walks a road where nothing lives. But this dove here senses the love hawk floating above, and waits, and will not be driven or scared to safety.”
175. “Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love.”
176. “There is little one can say about love. It has to be lived, and it’s always in motion.”
177. “When you seek love with all your heart you shall find its echo in the universe.”
178. “Thankfulness brings you to the place where the beloved lives.”
179. “Would you become a pilgrim on the road of love? The first condition is that you make yourself humble as dust and ashes.”
180. “Come out of the circle of time and into the circle of love.”
181. “If you want to win hearts, sow the seeds of Love. If you want heaven, stop scattering thorns on the road.”
182. “You have within you more love than you could ever understand.”
Rumi Quotes On Friendship:
183. “Be with those who help your being.”
184. “Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.”
185. “Friend, our closeness is this: anywhere you put your foot, feel me in the firmness under you.”
186. “My friend, the sufi is the friend of the present moment. To say tomorrow is not our way.”
187. “Why struggle to open a door between us when the whole wall is an illusion?”
188. “A generous friend gives life for a friend let’s rise above this animalistic behavior and be kind to one another.”
189. “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.”
190. “Listen! Clam up your mouth and be silent like an oyster shell, for that tongue of yours is the enemy of the soul, my friend. When the lips are silent, the heart has a hundred tongues.”
191. “Never lose hope, my heart, miracles dwell in the invisible. If the whole world turns against you keep your eyes on the Friend.”
192. “If you are looking for a friend who is faultless, you will be friendless.”
193. “Stay with friends who support you in these. Talk with them about sacred texts, and how you are doing, and how they are doing, and keep your practices together.”
194. “If you are seeking, seek us with joy
For we live in the kingdom of joy.
Do not give your heart to anything else
But to the love of those who are clear joy,
Do not stray into the neighbourhood of despair.
For there are hopes: they are real, they exist
Do not go in the direction of darkness
I tell you: suns exist.”
195. “This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and attend them all!
Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still treat each guest honourably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in.”
196. “One who does what the Friend wants done
will never need a friend.
There’s a bankruptcy that’s pure gain.
The moon stays bright when it
doesn’t avoid the night.
A rose’s rarest essence
lives in the thorn.”
197. “Out of this dust
you have created a personal image,
and have forgotten
about the essence of your true origin
Be motivated like the falcon,
Be as magnificent as the leopard,
fight to win.
Spend less time with
nightingales and peacocks.
One is all talk,
the other only color.”
Rumi Quotes On Peace:
“All your anxiety is because of your desire for harmony. Seek disharmony, then you will gain peace.”
199. “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.”
200. “Dance where you can break yourself up to pieces and totally abandon your worldly passions.”
201. “There is a community of the spirit. Join it, and feel the delight of walking in the noisy street and being the noise. Drink all your passion, and be a disgrace. Close both eyes to see with the other eye.”
202. “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.”
203. “Make peace with the universe. Take joy in it. It will turn to gold. Resurrection will be now. Every moment, a new beauty.”
Rumi Quotes On Nature :
204. “Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wildflowers will come up where you are.”
205. “Water the fruit trees and don’t water the thorns.”
206. “Rise up nimbly and go on your strange journey to the ocean of meanings…. Leave and don’t look away from the sun as you go, in whose light you’re sometimes crescent, sometimes full.”
207. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
208. “Try another way of looking. Try you looking and the whole universe seeing.”
209. “Always search for your innermost nature in those you are with, as rose oil imbibes from roses.”
210. “Into my heart’s night
Along a narrow way
I groped; and lo! the light,
An infinite land of day.”
211. “You think of yourself
as a citizen of the universe.
You think you belong
to this world of dust and matter.”
212. “Listen to presences inside poems,
Let them take you where they will.
Follow those private hints,
and never leave the premises.”
213. “You are the source of the sun.
And I am the willow’s shadow.
Oh, you have struck me on the head,
Wretch that I am, on fire, am I.”
214. “You consider issues, but not deeply enough.
Your spring is frozen. Faith is flowing.
Don’t try to forge cold iron.
Study David, the ironsmith, and dancer, and musician.
Move into the sun. You’re wrapped in fantasy
and inner mumbling. When spirit enters, a man begins to wander freely,
escaped and overrunning through the garden plants,
spontaneous and soaking in.
Now a miracle story…”
215. “You came suddenly shook me from my sleep and vanished.
In my heart, you rose like the moon
but as I glanced at you, you disappeared.
Having had a glimpse of Your garden,
I have no more patience to endure my existence….”
216. “Late, by myself, in the boat of myself,
no light and no land anywhere,
cloud cover thick. I try to stay
just above the surface, yet I’m already under
and living within the ocean.”
217. “Should everything pass away,
it couldn’t happen without you.
This heart of mines bears Your imprint;
it has nowhere else to turn.
The eye of the intellect is drunk with You,
the wheeling galaxy is humble before You,
the ear of ecstasy is in Your hand;
nothing happens without You.
The soul is bubbling with You,
the heart imbibes from You,
the intellect bellows in rapture;
nothing happens without You.
You, my grape wine and my intoxication,
my rose garden and my springtime,
my sleep and repose;
nothing happens without You.
You are my grandeur and glory,
you are my possessions and prosperity,
you are my purest water;
nothing happens without You” This is the prayer of each:
You are the source of my life.
You separate essence from the mud.
You honor my soul.
You bring rivers from the mountain springs.
You brighten my eyes.
The wine you offer
takes me out of myself
into the self we share.
Doing that is religion”
Rumi Quotes On Beauty :
218. “See the beauty around you. Break out of your boundaries. Reach out to what makes your life more meaningful.”
219. “You have seen your own strength. You have seen your own beauty. You have seen your golden wings. Why do you worry?”
220. “The very center of your heart is where life begins – the most beautiful place on earth.”
221. “The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart.”
222. “Everything that is made beautiful and fair and lovely is made for the eye of one who sees.”
223. ““The ground’s generosity takes in our compost and grows beauty! Try to be more like the ground.”
224. ““Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’d ever imagined.”
225. “That which God said to the rose, and caused it to laugh in full-blown beauty, He said to my heart, and made it a hundred times more beautiful.”
“Let the beauty of what you love to be what you do.”
226. “Oh soul, you worry too much. You have seen your own strength. You have seen your own beauty. You have seen your golden wings. Why do you worry?”
227. “Lovers find secret places inside this violent world where they make transactions with beauty.”
228. “Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened…. Let the beauty we love be what we do.”
229. “Everything in the universe is a pitcher brimming with wisdom and beauty.”
230. “Nothing can help me but that beauty. There was a dawn I remember when my soul heard something from your soul.”
231. “The beauty you see in me is a reflection of you.”
232. “On a day when the wind is perfect, the sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty. Today is such a day.”
233. “There is a place born of silence
A place where the whispers of the heart arise.
There is a place where voices sing your beauty
A place where every breath
carves your image
in my soul.”
234. “Nothing can help me but that beauty.
There was a dawn I remember
when my soul heard something from your soul
I drank water from your spring
and felt the current take me.”
Rumi Quotes On Healing :
235. “You can’t mend something that is not broken! To be healed, you need to fall ill.”
236. “Pain is the conduit to healing. Without pain, there is no improvement & no betterment.”
237. “Don’t let anything get to your head. Be it happiness, pride or sadness.”
238. “Every cloud has a silver lining. Look beyond your bubble to see the beauty in the world.”
239. “Don’t forget that, you have the power to make yourself feel good.”
240. “Do not map your life by how much time has passed by, rather, map it by how much you have felt, and loved.”
241. “As the day ends, a new one begins in another part of the world. What goes around, will come back to you.”
242. “Healing begins with you. Irrespective of what the world says, you make your own little world by changing yourself.”
243. “Planting an apple tree will give you apples, planting a poison ivy plant will give you poison ivy. Likewise, filling your life with good thoughts and happiness, multiplies the positivity and joy in your life.”
244. “See the beauty around you. Break out of your boundaries. Reach out to what makes your life more meaningful.”
245. “If you desire healing, let yourself fall ill let yourself fall ill.”
246. “You already have the precious mixture that will make you well. Use it.”
247. “There is no room for hypocrisy. Why use bitter soup for healing when sweet water is everywhere?”
248. “You’ve seen my descent, now watch my rising.”
249. “Fasting is the first principle of medicine.”
250. “I am pure light, not just a fistful of clay. The shell is not me, I came as the royal pearl within. Look at me not with outward eye but with inward vision of the heart; Follow me there and see how unencumbered we become.”
251. “Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots.”
252. “Remember, the entrance door to the sanctuary is inside you.”
253. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
Rumi Quotes On Change :
254. “Life s picture is constantly undergoing change. The spirit beholds a new world every moment.”
255. “Pale sunlight, pale the wall. Love moves away. The light changes I need more grace than I thought. Whenever they rebuild an old building, they must first of all destroy the old one.”
256. “To change, a person must face the dragon of his appetites with another dragon, the life-energy of the soul.”
257. “That hurt we embrace becomes joy. Call it to your arms where it can change.”
258. “Your hand opens and closes, opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralysed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as birds’ wings.”
259. “Your way begins at the other side.
Become the sky.
Take an axe to the prison wall.
Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.
Do it now.”
260. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
Rumi Quotes On Happiness :
261. “It may be the satisfaction I need depends on my going away. So that when I’ve gone and come back, I’ll find it at home.”
262. “There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground; there are a thousand ways to go home again.”
263. “No one knows what makes the soul wake up so happy! Maybe a dawn breeze has blown the veil from the face of God.”
264. “Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.”
265. “Come sit with me! Let us drink the holy wine of happiness.”
266. “If something makes you happy in this world, you should think of what will happen to you if that thing were taken away.”
267. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.”
268. “O, happy the soul that saw its own faults.”
Rumi Quotes On Silence :
269. “But learn this custom from the flower: silence your tongue.”
270. “Carry your baggage towards silence , when you seek the signs of the way.”
271. “Don’t wait any longer. Dive in the ocean, Leave and let the sea be you.”
272. “Be quiet. Find acquaintances with silence. Go inside, delve into your heart. Take a day off from the clamor.”
273. “My boat strikes something deep. At first sounds of silence, waves. Nothing has happened; Or perhaps everything has happened. and I am sitting in my new life.”
274. “A wealth you cannot imagine flows through you. Do not consider what strangers say. Be secluded in your secret heart-house, that bowl of silence.”
275. “I will be waiting here…. For your silence to break, For your soul to shake, For your love to wake!”
276. “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.”
277. “There is a way between voice and presence, where information flows. In disciplined silence it opens; with wandering talk it closes.”
278. “There is a place where words are born of silence.”
279. “Oh, bird of my soul, fly away now, For I possess a hundred fortified towers.”
280. “This is how it always is when I finish a poem. A great silence overcomes me and I wonder why I ever thought to use language.”
281. “Let Silence speak to you about the secrets of the universe.”
282. “Ground yourself, strip yourself down, To blind loving Silence”
283. “All is known in the sacredness of silence.”
284. “My souls sits in silence, and then asks again, where are you in all of this?”
285. “Silence is the root of everything. If you spiral into its void a hundred voices will thunder messages you long to hear.”
286. “Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.”
287. “Keep silent, because the world of silence is a vast fullness”
288. “Sing to me in the silence of your heart and I will rise up to hear your triumphant song.”
289. “Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. Live in silence.”
290. “Silence is the sea, and speech is like the river. The sea is seeking you: don’t seek the river. Don’t turn your head away from the signs offered by the sea.”
291. “In the silence of love you will find the spark of life”
292. “In Silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and see how the pattern improves.”
293. “In the silence between your heartbeat bides a summons. Do you hear it? Name it if you must, or leave it forever nameless, but why pretend it is not there?”
294. “Know the true definition of yourself. That is essential. Then, when you know your own definition, flee from it.”
295. “Let silence take you to the core of life.”
296. “Keep silence, be mute. If you have not yet become the tongue of god, be an ear!”
297. “Stop, open up, surrender the beloved blind silence.
Stay there until you see you’re looking at the light with infinite eyes.”
298. “I am so close, I may look distant.
So completely mixed with you, I may look separate.
So out in the open, I appear hidden.
So silent, because I am constantly talking with you.”
299. “Last night
I begged the wise one to tell me the secret of the world.
Gently, gently, he whispered,
Be quiet, the secret cannot be spoken, It is wrapped in silence.”
300. “This silence, this moment, every moment, if it’s genuinely inside you, brings what you need. There’s nothing to believe. Only when I stopped believing in myself did I come into this beauty. Sit quietly, and listen for a voice that will say, ‘Be more silent.’ Die and be quiet. Quietness is the surest sign that you’ve died. Your old life was a frantic running from silence. Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. Live in silence.”
Rumi Quotes On Death :
301. “I was dead, then alive. Weeping, then laughing.”
302. “This is how I would die into the love I have for you: As pieces of cloud dissolve in sunlight.”
303. “This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.”
304. “At the end of my life, with just one breath left, if you come, I’ll sit up and sing.”
305. “I died as a mineral and became a plant, I died as a plant and rose to animal, I died as an animal and I was Man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?”
306. “Die happily and look forward to taking up a new and better form. Like the sun, only when you set in the west can you rise in the east.”
307. “I learned that every mortal will taste death. But only some will taste life.”
308. “The world is a playground, and death is the night.”
309. “Last night things flowed between us that cannot now be said or written.
Only as I’m being carried out and down the road, as the folds of my shroud open in the wind, will anyone be able to read, as on the petal-pages of a turning bud, what passed through us last night.”
310. “Our death is our wedding with eternity.”
311. “Before death takes away what you are given, give away what there is to give.”
312. “Everyone is so afraid of death, but the real Sufis just laugh: nothing tyrannizes their hearts. What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl.”
313. “Childhood, youth, and maturity,
and now old age.
Every guest agrees to stay
three days, no more.
Master, you told me to
remind you. Time to go.”
314. “The angel of death arrives,
and I spring joyfully up.
No one knows what comes over me
when I and that messenger speak!”
315. “When you come back inside my chest no matter how far I’ve wandered off,
I look around and see the way.
At the end of my life, with just one breath left, if you come then, I’ll sit up and sing.”
316. “I placed one foot on the wide plain
of death, and some grand
immensity sounded on the emptiness.
I have felt nothing ever
like the wild wonder of that moment.
Longing is the core of mystery.
Longing itself brings the cure.
The only rule is, Suffer the pain.
Your desire must be disciplined,
and what you want to happen
in time, sacrificed.”
317. “Make your last journey
from this strange world
soar for the heights
where there is no more
separation of you and your home
God has created
your wings not to be dormant
as long as you are alive
you must try more and more
to use your wings to show you’re alive”
318. “On the day I die, when I’m being carried
toward the grave, don’t weep. Don’t say,
He’s gone! He’s gone. Death has nothing to do with going away. The sun sets and
the moon sets, but they’re not gone.
Death is a coming together. The tomb
looks like a prison, but it’s really
release into union. The human seed goes
down in the ground like a bucket into
the well where Joseph is. It grows and
comes up full of some unimagined beauty.
Your mouth closes here, and immediately
opens with a shout of joy there.”
319. “The day I’ve died, my pall is moving on
But do not think my heart is still on earth!
Don’t weep and pity me: “Oh woe, how awful!”
You fall in devil’s snare – woe, that is awful!
Don’t cry “Woe, parted!” at my burial
For me this is the time of joyful meeting!
Don’t say “Farewell!” when I’m put in the grave
A curtin is it for eternal bliss.
You saw “descending” – now look at the rising!
Is setting dangerous for sun and moon?
To you it looks like setting, but it’s rising;
The coffin seems a jail, yet it means freedom.
Which seed fell in the earth that did not grow there?
Why do you doubt the fate of human seed?
What bucket came not filled from out the cistern?
Why should the Yusaf “Soul” then fear this well?
Close here your mouth and open it on that side.
So that your hymns may sound in Where-no-place!
– Annemarie Schimmel “Look! This is Love – Poems of Rumi” Shambhala, 1991
Rumi Quotes On Sadness :
320. “You left and I cried tears of blood. My sorrow grows. Its not just that You left. But when You left my eyes went with You. Now, how will I cry?”
321. “I wonder from these thousand of “me’s”, which one am I? Listen to my cry, do not drown my voice I am completely filled with the thought of you. Don’t lay broken glass on my path I will crush it into dust. I am nothing, just a mirror in the palm of your hand, reflecting your kindness, your sadness, your anger. If you were a blade of grass or a tiny flower I will pitch my tent in your shadow. Only your presence revives my withered heart. You are the candle that lights the whole world and I am an empty vessel for your light.”
322. “Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought! Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. Live in silence. Flow down and down in always widening rings of being.”
323. “Moonlight floods the whole sky from horizon to horizon; how much it can fill your room depends on its windows.”
324. “Sadness to me is the happiest time, When a shining city rises from the ruins of my drunken mind. Those times when I’m silent and still as the earth, The thunder of my roar is heard across the universe.”
325. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.”
326. “You left ground and sky weeping, mind and soul full of grief. No one can take your place in existence, or in absence. Both mourn, the angels, the prophets, and this sadness I feel has taken from me the taste of language, so that I cannot say the flavor of my being apart.”
327. “Your heart is the size of an ocean. Go find yourself in its hidden depths.”
328. “Anyone who knows me, should learn to know me again; For I am like the Moon, you will see me with new face everyday.”
329. “Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you.”
330. “But listen to me. For one moment quit being sad. Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you.”
“Its good to leave each day behind, like flowing water, free of sadness. Yesterday is gone and its tale told. Today new seeds are growing.”
“Whenever sorrow comes, be kind to it. For God has placed a pearl in sorrow’s hand.”
“The garden of the world has no limits, except in your mind.”
Why should we follow him?
His poems or compositions are in actuality an impression of human articulation in different strange and various encounters where individuals find various sentiments in his everyday life. That is why it is not possible to tie Jalal Uddin Muhammad Rumi to any particular race or group, because he speaks to the hearts of people all over the world, and he feels everything with his heart. And that’s why he blends in with everyone’s heart.
Born: 30 September 1207 Balkh (present-day Afghanistan), or Wakhsh (present-day Tajikistan), Khwarezmian Empire.
Died: 17 December 1273 (aged 66)
Konya (present-day Turkey), Sultanate of Rum
Resting place: Tomb of Mevlana Rumi, Mevlana Museum, Konya, Turkey
More Information about Rumi: History of Rumi