‘Tyler Durden’ is a fictional character which first appears in 1995 in the Pursuit of Happiness. The American transgression fiction writer, Charles Michael Palahniuk, had created this famous character.
This character is initially and popularly known as ‘the narrator.’ We find this character both in the novel and the adapted movie version. We will discuss about Tyler Durden Quotes.
Tyler Durden Quotes:
- “I don’t want to die without any scars”.
- “Maybe self-improvement isn’t the answer, maybe self-destruction is the answer.”
- “I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.”
- “I wanted to destroy everything beautiful I’d never have.”
- “Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions.”
- “You decide your own level of involvement.”
- “This was the goal of Project Mayhem, the complete and right-away destruction of civilization.”
- “The things you own, end up owning you.”
- “Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy that we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war . . . our Great Depression is our lives.”
- “We buy things we don’t need, to impress people we don’t like.”
- “Our fathers were our models for God, if our fathers failed, what does that tell you about God?”
- “On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”
- “You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you, never wanted you, in all probability he hates you. It’s not the worst thing that could happen.”
- “First you’ve gotta know—not fear, know—that someday you’re gonna die.”
- “We are consumers. We’re the by-products of a lifestyle obsession.”
- “It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.”
- “The lower you fall, the higher you’ll fly.”
- “I want you to hit me as hard as you can.”
- “You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.”
- “A person had to work hard for it, but a minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection.”
- “We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t.”
- “We’re a generation of men raised by women. I’m wondering if another woman is really the answer we need.”
- “People do it every day, they talk to themselves, they see themselves as they’d like to be, they don’t have the courage you have, to just run with it.”
- “You have to know, not fear, that someday you are going to die. Until you know that and embrace that you are useless.”
- “Fight Club exists only when fight club begins and when it ends.”
- “You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.”
- “With a gun barrel pressed between your teeth, you speak only in vowels.”
- “Fight Club was the beginning, now it’s moved out of the basement, it’s called Project Mayhem (havoc).”
- “Stop trying to control everything and just let it go.”
- “This is your life and it’s ending one moment at a time.”
Why should we follow him?
The narrator is quite different from the other characters because of his weird personality. He possesses a dual personality. His general personality transforms during the darkness of night.
He remains as the narrator during the day time, but during the night he becomes Tyler Durden. The characteristics of Tyler Durden are quite different from the character traits of the narrator.
When the narrator becomes ‘Tyler Dryden,’ he becomes chaotic. The Empire magazine honored the ‘Tyler Durden’ character by selecting it as the greatest and most popular film character. The character builds up with the imagination of the narrator. The imaginary character ‘Tyler Durden’ is very violent in his character.
In the Fighter Club, we see the dedicated nature of Tyler Durden. In the Fight Club-2, we may notice the spirit of Tyler Durden for survival. We may also find brevity from Tyler Durden quotes, such as, “I don’t want to die without any scars.” We can follow these positive aspects of his character.
Charles Michael Palahniuk presents us with the ‘Tyler Dryden’ character in a short story of the Pursuit of Happiness book. Later he adds the story in his Fight Club novel. Later we find the character in Fight Club 2 and Fight Club 3.
We may also find this character in the adapted movie version and the game version of this novel. However, if we want to learn the biography of Tyler Durden, we have to go through the novels and discover the character within the novels.’
According to the novel Fight Club,
In this novel, we may find the protagonist Tyler Durden or the narrator as a middle class working person. He works in an automobile company.
We find him as suffering from insomnia and despair. He used to forget his problems by vising persons who are suffering from more problems than him. One day he discovers his imaginary character, which is known as Tyler Durden.
Though the narrator thought it as another person, it was he. However, he made an affair with Maria. Tyler Durden is an aggressive character. We see him spreading his anti-consumerist ideas. He established ‘Project Mayhem’ for this purpose.
The characteristics of Tyler Durden are destructive and violent. We find him making a bomb to destroy a national museum and the skyscraper. The ‘Tyler Durden’ character is the hallucinatory character. The character vanishes after some destructive activities. After that, the narrator admits to the mental asylum.
According to the novel Fight Club-2,
We find another avatar of the character Tyler Durden. In this novel, the ‘Tyler Durden’ character is the kind of meme who transfers from person to person and generation to generation.
The narrator finds that it attacks the children and makes them suffer from anxieties. When they grow up, they also become the host of ‘Tyler Dryden’ character.
Here, the narrator, his father, his grandfather and his son are the host of ‘Tyler’ personality. Here, we find Tyler as the immortal personality which transforms from host to host. From Fight Club-3, we learn about Tyler’s child.
If you found it inspiring and helpful in your life please share with your friends, family, and relatives to let them also get inspiring self care quotes.