When we try to protect ourselves from other problems and outside situations that is called self-defense. This is very important to live in this world and for our existence.
If we fail to protect ourselves from the adversities of the outside world then the cruelty of this world will kill us. This is a must to continue living in this world. The scholars also accept that we can be violated when our life is in danger.
Some famous quotes also inspire us to be self-protective. These quotes are called self defense quotes. Here in this article, we are going to discuss some most famous self-defense quotes of some famous people.
Top 50 Self Defense Quotes :
1. Self-defense is not only our right; it is our duty.—Ronald Reagan
2. The essential thing is to bear always in mind that trouble can appear at any time.
Be aware.Be ready.Be alert. —Jeff Cooper
4. The criminal does not expect his prey to fight back. May he never choose you, but, if he does, surprise him. —Jeff Cooper
5. Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion… in private self-defense.—John Adams
6. There’s only one basic principle of self-defense- you must apply the most effective weapon, as soon as possible, to the most vulnerable target. —Bruce Lee
7. It is true that a victim who fights back may suffer for it, but one who does not almost certainly will suffer for it. —Jeff Cooper
8. Murder begins where self-defense ends. —Georg Buchner
Why is Self-defense Important
There are lots of reasons to be self-defensive. Without it, you will lose your identity and you will also fail to fulfill your dreams. Here I am going to show you some importance of self-defense. All the reasons are taken from the self-defense quotes.
It Grows Confidence
Self-defense will grow self-confidence in us. It will help us to feel that I also can do something. If I fail to protect myself then pessimistic thoughts will center on me and dishearten me. To grow confidence, you need to be self-defensive and also read confidence quotes.
Increase Self Discipline
Self-discipline is very important to get success. It makes one more order and routine. Self-discipline is very important to reach your goal. The nature of self-defense makes us more disciplined. It helps us to maintain our daily routine. For this reason, the nature of our character is very important.
It Increases Self Respect
If you have no self-respect then you will not be able to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. All these are related to self-defense. These are interrelated. So, it is very important to be self-defensive.
9. Self-defense is so important to know in today's society. It's not just that you might get mugged. It's more for confidence. It's the way you hold yourself when you walk into a room. Every step you take is more… Click To Tweet
10. If you must use your hands, use them with all the strength you possess… If you choose to strike, by all means strike hard. —Jeff Cooper
11. Though defensive violence will always be ‘a sad necessity’ in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men.—Saint Augustine
12. Self-defense is the clearest of all laws; and for this reason – the lawyers didn’t make it.—Douglas William Jerrold
13. God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it. —Daniel Webster
14. It is high time for society to stop worrying about the criminal, and to let the criminal start worrying about society. And by “society” I mean you.—Jeff Cooper
15. Let your attacker worry about his life. Don’t hold back. Strike no more after he is incapable of further action, but see that he is stopped. —Jeff Cooper
16. Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.—Benjamin Franklin
17. Your mind-set is your primary weapon—Jeff Cooper
18. James Monroe quote: The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and…
The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals.—James Monroe
19. I don’t even call it violence when it’s in self defense; I call it intelligence. —Malcolm X
20. Your physical safety is up to you, as it really always has been.—Jeff Cooper
21. Self-defense is Nature’s eldest law.—John Dryden
22. The first right of every human being is the right of self-defense. Without that right, all other rights are meaningless. The right of self-defense is not something the government bestows upon its citizens. It is an inalienable right, older than the Constitution itself. It existed prior to government and prior to the social contract of our Constitution.—Larry Craig
23. Though violence is not lawful, when it is offered in self-defense or for the defense of the defenseless, it is an act of bravery far better than cowardly submission. The latter befits neither man nor woman. Under violence, there are many stages and varieties of bravery. Every man must judge this for himself. No other person can or has the right.—Mahatma Gandhi
24. There isn’t any real good reason for fighting except self-defense.—S. E. Hinton
25. Our nation was built and civilized by men and women who used guns in self-defense and in pursuit of peace. One wonders indeed, if the rising crime rate, isn’t due as much as anything to the criminal’s instinctive knowledge that the average victim no longer has means of self-protection.—Ronald Reagan
26. If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.—Jeff Cooper
27. A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense.—Woody Allen
28. justly called the primary law of nature, so it is not, neither can it be in fact, taken away by the laws of society.—William Blackstone
29. Apathy is the self-defense of the powerless.—Letty Cottin Pogrebin
30. Real schools ought to provide people with techniques of self-defense, but that would mean teaching the truth about the world and about the society, and schools couldn’t survive very long if they did that.—Noam Chomsky
31. No sensible person ever opens the door of his house without knowing who is knocking.—Jeff Cooper
32. By doing what our assailant least expects us to do, we may throw him completely off. … what he usually least suspects is instant, violent counterattack, so the principle of aggressiveness is closely tied to threat of surprise.—Jeff Cooper
33. Under any sort of attack, keep cool. And if you must shoot, shoot with precision.—Jeff Cooper
34. The proper course of action, when under attack, is usually to counterattack.—Jeff Cooper
35. The one who anticipates the action wins. The one who does not, loses.—Jeff Cooper
36. It’s better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed.—Rory Miller
37. As we have seen, the first public expression of disenchantment with nonviolence arose around the question of ‘self-defense.’ In a sense this is a false issue, for the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law. —Martin Luther King, Jr.
38. Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. —James Madison
39. If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you’ve got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive. —Jeff Cooper
40. Use your eyes. Do not enter unfamiliar areas that you cannot observe first. Make it a practice to swing wide around corners, use window glass for rearward visibility, and get something solid behind you when you pause. —Jeff Cooper
41. A people armed and free, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition and is a bulwark for the nation against foreign invasion and domestic oppression. —James Madison
42. The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. If some “pacifist” society renounced the retaliatory use of force, it would be left helplessly at the mercy of the first thug who decided to be immoral. Such a society would achieve the opposite of its intention: instead of abolishing evil, it would encourage and reward it. —Ayn Rand
43. “What would I do if?..” By thinking tactically, we can more easily arrive at correct tactical solutions, and practice – even theoretical practice – tends to produce confidence in our solutions which, in turn, makes it easier for us, and thus quicker, to reach a decision. —Jeff Cooper
44. Now how do we cultivate an aggressive response? I think the answer is indignation… Your response, if attacked, must not be fear, it must be anger. —Jeff Cooper
Military Self-defense Quotes
The military is the best example of a country’s self-defense. Any country builds its military to protect itself from any external attack. Some people think that the military expense of a country is a kind of waste. But actually, it makes a country complete. The importance of military self-defense is supported by all political theorists. Some quotes are also available on military self-defense. You can go through them.”If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn’t plan your mission properly.” — David Hackworth Click To Tweet
“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” — Albert Einstein
“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” — Benjamin Franklin
“Protecting yourself is self-defense. Protecting others is warriorship.” — Bodhi Sanders
45. The human instinct for self-preservation is strong. I know, because mine pulls at me, too, like the needle on a compass. And everybody – I’ve been reading some philosophy – everybody seems to agree that the instinct and responsibility of all humans is to take care of themselves first. You have the right to self-defense. You have the right to survive, if you can. —Nancy Werlin
46. Danger, if met head on, can be nearly halved—Winston Churchill
47. If a felon attacks you and lives, he will reasonably conclude that he can do it again. By submitting to him, you not only imperil your own life, but you jeopardize the lives of others. —Jeff Cooper
48. Observe your cat. It is difficult to surprise him. Why? Naturally his superior hearing is part of the answer, but not all of it. He moves well, using his senses fully. He is not preoccupied with irrelevancies. He’s not thinking about his job or his image or his income tax. He is putting first things first, principally his physical security. Do likewise.—Jeff Cooper
49. Lying is an elementary means of self-defense. —Susan Sontag
The thought of self-defense is civil. This is also a part of our civility. Sometimes we have to be ready for war for our personal and country’s self-defense. We should think of it as a very important part of our social and personal life. The self defense quotes teach us a lot. You may read these quotes to get more clarified ideas.