Who is Sidney Poitier?
Sidney Poitier is an American successful artist from the Bahamas. He is famous as an actor, film director, activist, and also ambassador. He is the first American black actor who won an Academic Award for best actor. Sidney Poitier first came in notice after the drama film The Defiant Ones Published. This was an award-winning drama film. Sidney Poitier was an ambassador for the Bahamas in Japan. Besides being an actor Sidney Poitier is an originator of some famous quotes. His quotes are realistic and life-related. He also wrote some emotional quotes too. Sidney Poitier quotes have huge fans.
Sidney Poitier Quotes:
1. “History passes the final judgment.” – Sidney Poitier
2. “I feel, internally, that I am an ordinary person who has had an extraordinary life.” – Sidney Poitier
3. “So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness.” – Sidney Poitier
4. “I’ll always be chasing you… Glory.” – Sidney Poitier
5. “I am the me I choose to be.” – Sidney Poitier
6. “In America, it is difficult to be your own man.” – Sidney Poitier
7. “I have always been a learner because I knew nothing.” – Sidney Poitier
8. “Far as I can tell, I still have most of my hair, my gut is not hanging over my belt, and I still have all of my teeth.” – Sidney Poitier
9. “Generally, I tend to despise human behavior rather than human creatures.” – Sidney Poitier
10. “I know how easy it is for one to stay well within moral, ethical, and legal bounds through the skillful use of words – and to thereby spin, sidestep, circumvent, or bend a truth completely out of shape. To that extent, we are all liars on numerous occasions.” – Sidney Poitier
11. “I wouldn’t change a single thing, because one change alters every moment that follows it.” – Sidney Poitier
12. “I cannot be understood in three minutes.” – Sidney Poitier
13. “I’m not a library.” – Sidney Poitier
14. “I learned to hear silence. That’s the kind of life I lived: simple. I learned to see things in people around me, in my mom, dad, brothers and sisters.” – Sidney Poitier
15. “If I’m remembered for having done a few good things, and if my presence here has sparked some good energies, that’s plenty.” – Sidney Poitier
16. “I want my great-granddaughter to have a fairly good understanding of the world in which I lived for 81 years and also the world before I came into it – all the way back a hundred thousand years, to the beginning of our species.” – Sidney Poitier
Sidney Poitier quotes about performance:
17. “In my case, the body of work stands for itself…I think my work has been representative of me as a man.” – Sidney Poitier
18. “I always wanted to be someone better the next day than I was the day before.” – Sidney Poitier
19. “I wanted to explore the values that are at work, underpinning my life.” – Sidney Poitier
20. “I always had the ability to say no. That’s how I called my own shots.” – Sidney Poitier
21. “I was not the kind of a principal player that was so in demand that eight or 10 or 12 scripts came per month.” – Sidney Poitier
22. “I had chosen to use my work as a reflection of my values.” – Sidney Poitier
23. “A good deed here, a good deed there, a good thought here, a good comment there, all added up to my career in one way or another.” – Sidney Poitier
24. “If you apply reason and logic to this career of mine, you’re not going to get very far. You simply won’t.” – Sidney Poitier
25. “When I set out to become an actor, I had set myself a standard.” – Sidney Poitier
26. “I had to satisfy the action fans, the romantic fans, the intellectual fans. It was a terrific burden.” – Sidney Poitier
27. “I did not go into the film business to be symbolized as someone else’s vision of me.” – Sidney Poitier
28. “If the screen does not make room for me in the structure of their screenplay, I’ll step out. I’ll step back. I’d step back. I couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t do it.” – Sidney Poitier
29. “Acting isn’t a game of “pretend.” It’s an exercise in being real.” – Sidney Poitier
Sidney Poitier quotes about care:
30. “As a man, I’ve been representative of the values I hold dear. And the values I hold dear are carryovers from the lives of my parents.” – Sidney Poitier
31. “I come from a great family. I’ve seen family life and I know how wonderful, how nurturing, and how wonderful it can be.” – Sidney Poitier
32. “My father was a poor man, very poor in a British colonial possession where class and race were very important.” – Sidney Poitier
33. “I am not a hugely religious person, but I believe that there is a oneness with everything. And because there is this oneness, it is possible that my mother is the principal reason for my life.” – Sidney Poitier
34. “I was a gift to my mother. She was a remarkable person. God or nature, or whatever those forces are, smiled on her, then passed me the best of her.” – Sidney Poitier
35. “But my dad also was a remarkable man, a good person, a principled individual, a man of integrity.” – Sidney Poitier
36. “My mother was the most amazing person. She taught me to be kind to other women. She believed in family. She was with my father from the first day they met. All that I am, she taught me.” – Sidney Poitier
37. “My father was a tomato farmer. There is the phrase that says he or she worked their fingers to the bone, well, that’s my dad. And he was a very good man.” – Sidney Poitier
38. “I was born two months early, and everyone had given up on me. But my mother insisted on my life.” – Sidney Poitier
39. “My father was the quintessential husband and dad.” – Sidney Poitier
40. “My father was very big on marriage.” – Sidney Poitier
41. “I lived in a country where I couldn’t live where I wanted to live. I lived in a country where I couldn’t go where I wanted to eat. I lived in a country where I couldn’t get a job, except for those put aside for people of my color or caste.” – Sidney Poitier
42. “My father was a certain kind of man – I saw how he treated my mother and his family and how he treated strangers. And I vowed I would never make a film that would not reflect properly on my father’s name.” – Sidney Poitier
Sidney Poitier quotes about race:
43. “I was the only Black person on the set. It was unusual for me to be in a circumstance in which every move I made was tantamount to a representation of 18 million people.” – Sidney Poitier
44. “I never had an occasion to question color, therefore, I only saw myself as what I was… a human being.” – Sidney Poitier
45. “The impact of the black audience is expressing itself. They look to films to be more expressive of their needs, their lives. Hollywood has gotten that message – finally.” – Sidney Poitier
46. “I didn’t run into racism until we moved to Nassau when I was ten and a half, but it was vastly different from the kind of horrendous oppression that black people in Miami were under when I moved there at 15. I found Florida an antihuman place.” – Sidney Poitier
47. “There is no racial or ethnic domination of hopelessness. It’s everywhere.” – Sidney Poitier
48. “I knew what it was to be uncomfortable in a movie theater watching unfolding on the screen images of myself – not me, but black people – that were uncomfortable.” – Sidney Poitier
49. “I couldn’t adjust to the racism in Florida. It was so blatant… I had never been so described as Florida described me.” – Sidney Poitier
50. “I was fortunate enough to have been raised to a certain point before I got into the race thing. I had other views of what a human is, so I was never able to see racism as the big question. Racism was horrendous, but there were other aspects to life.” – Sidney Poitier
Biography of Sidney Poitier:
The early life of Sidney Poitier is not so usual. His parents are Evelyn and Reginald James Poitier. They went to Miami where unexpectedly Sidney Poitier was born. His birth year is 20 February 1927. For his birth in the USA, he got citizenship there. At the age of 15, Sidney Poitier moved to the USA. After moving there he started a new life. Before coming to this profession, Sidney Poitier worked in different places in different professions.
Sidney Poitier had no institutional education. He learned reading newspapers from one of his co-workers at a restaurant. His later education was only related to film and media. He entered to North American Negro Theatre to learn film making and other rules. He completed his other film-related study from Actors Studio. We can say that he is a practical learner. The total of his learning is practical experience-based.
The early life of this actor was so miserable. For this reason, he worked in a restaurant as a plate cleaner. After this, he started a job in the army reducing his age. He had to work in Veteran’s Administration hospital. But he did not get mental satisfaction there. He left this job and started acting. This was a life-changing move for Sidney Poitier. He acted and directed different famous movies. Some of his movies are still famous.
Finally, we can say that Sidney Poitier is an idol for his community and other people. He is a person who is loved by huge people. Sidney Poitier’s quotes are also much famous.
Why should we follow Sidney Poitier?
The actor has a varied life. Though he is an American citizen, he spent most of his life’s most part in the Bahamas. His lifestyle is much simpler. Even after being a famous person, he did not change his lifestyle. We can learn simplicity from him. His acting quality is also impressive. Anyone who wants to be an actor can follow him. Sidney Poitier’s quotes are realistic and life’s problem-solving. We can follow him for his famous quotes. Sidney Poitier is a black person from the 1930s. The life of a black child was not easy then. Sidney Poitier also had to face huge obstacles in his life for being a black person. But Sidney Poitier did not leave trying. He tried and now he is getting the result. People can follow him for these quotes.